Concessional registration is available through the Club for eligible membersí cars.


What are "H" and "J" Plates?


Historic vehicles may be registered under the Conditional Registration Scheme. The conditional registration of historic vehicles is referred to as the Historic Vehicle Scheme (HVS). The HVS was developed in consultation with industry.


Historic vehicles (including trailers) must be 30 years of age or older as from the year of manufacture.


Historic vehicles must be as close to original condition as possible, with no alterations except for safety features such as seatbelts and turn indicators, or period accessories and options, if desired.


As just mentioned, when youíre on the historic scheme youíre issued with ugly historic plates (also knows as ďHĒ plates). Itís a real shame because some liked the look of their old custom plates (and we're sure the Roads and Maritime Services miss charging us for them too!).




There is a significant savings to be had by going onto the conditional registration scheme. The first time you do it, you will need to pay for your plates as well as the rego, which will bring you to around $100. Every year after that, the cost is around $60. And as for the compulsory green slip, thatís included in the price too (no need to shop around). It used to cost close to $1,000 per year for registration and green slip, so you can clearly see the appeal.

Rego Sticker


The RMS did away with rego stickers on the windows of cars a number of years ago, but this doesnít include historically registered cars. Youíll still need to put a sticker on the windscreen of your historic car every year.




You may have the green light from the RMS to take your historic vehicle out for a spin, but itís probably not a bad idea to check the fine print on your insurance as well. For example, the NRMA have a classic car insurance policy.



Since the introduction of the trial log book scheme for historically registered vehicles, the main restriction is that youíre limited to 60 non-club travel days per year. Hereís the exact wording from the RMS log book form.

  • Registered operators must comply with all conditions applicable to the Historic Vehicle Scheme, and the Certificate of Approved Operations.

  • Log Books allow up to 60 days of general use (i.e. maintenance and personal use) per registration year, outside of club organised events. Before the start of each dayís use, the driver must record the start time and start location in the Log

  • Book. Only one entry per day is required, regardless of the number of trips taken that day.

  • Log Books must be carried in the vehicle when in use.

  • Log Books must be made available on request by a NSW Police Officer or Roads and Maritime Services Officer and may be subject to audit.

So the first item basically refers to the eligibility restrictions already mentioned in this article. The second item has that interesting statement ďÖ60 days of general useÖoutside of club organised eventsĒ. Put simply, this means that you donít need to use one of your 60 days if youíre involved in a club event (see details below). Itís my understanding that you wonít need to make a log book entry if youíre just filling up with petrol either, but for any other purpose, you will need to make an entry in the log book before you depart. It doesnít matter how many trips you make in a single day, itís only that first entry that needs to be in the log book.


More information about historic vehicles and registration under the H plate scheme can be found at the RMS website...


Historic vehicle eligibility

Historic vehicle registration

Classic Vehicle Log Book trial



Free Articles & Downloads